St Leonards Tower
The Medieval tower of St. Leonard’s, Newton Abbot, 1220 – 2004
St. Leonard’s Tower or as it is known to most locals, “The Clock Tower”, has become the best known landmark of the ancient Market town of Newton Abbot. It is owned and cared for by Newton Abbot Town Council and managed by the Museum.
St Leonard’s Tower is all that remains of the c.14th century Chapel which was demolished in 1836 as it had fallen in to disrepair. A traffic congestion problem (nothing is new!) was due to be resolved with the demolition of the entire building, if it had not been for a local petition to save the Clock Tower it would not be here today.
The Tower will be open to the public from May 2016 to September 2016 on Wednesdays 10am - 1pm and selected Saturdays. Free Admission - For more details contact 01626-201121
The Tower Team
St Leonard's Tower then and now
Information about St Leonard's Tower researched by Barrie James
Booklet written by Ken Ballamy on the history of St Leonard's Clock Tower